The House of Representatives has apologised to protesters who were exposed to teargas during a demonstration at the National Assembly complex earlier this week. The apology was issued on Thursday in Abuja by Akin Rotimi, spokesperson of the House.
Mr Rotimi described the incident as regrettable and said it should not have happened. He expressed sympathy to those affected and said the House’s media and public affairs team is reviewing the circumstances surrounding the incident.
He affirmed that peaceful protesters are protected by the Constitution but cautioned against the risk of infiltration by individuals who may incite disorder. He said an investigation is underway to determine what led to the use of teargas.
Also Read: Police fire teargas at protesters over Lagos demolitions
Mr Rotimi also defended the legislative process behind the Electoral Act 2026, stating that civil society groups were fully involved and that constitutional procedures were followed, adding that future amendments could address outstanding concerns.


Leave feedback about this
You must be logged in to post a comment.