Lekki Tollgate fatalities, unavailable – US Government

News - by RadioNow / Apr. 1st, 2021
lekki toll gate

The government of the United States of America says information on the number of fatalities recorded during the #ENDSARS protests, at Lekki Tollgate last year is not available. According to the US Department of State’s 2020 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices; “accurate information on fatalities resulting from the shooting was not available at year’s end”.

The report said that on October 20, 2020, members of the security forces enforced a curfew, by firing shots into the air to disperse protesters, who had gathered at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos to protest abusive practices by the Nigerian Police Force’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). Amnesty International had reported that 10 persons died during the event, but the Nigerian government disputed Amnesty’s report, and no other organization was able to verify the claim.

In its statement, the US government said one body from the toll gate showed signs of blunt force trauma while a second body from another location in Lagos State had bullet wounds. The government acknowledged that soldiers armed with live ammunition were present at the Lekki Toll Gate. The Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution continues to hear testimony and investigate the shooting at Lekki Toll Gate.

Leave a Reply

Other Post

X
Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial