February 21, 2026
US Aid Suspension Affects over 250,000 People, says Yobe Govt.
News Today In the News

US Aid Suspension Affects over 250,000 People, says Yobe Govt.

US Aid Suspension Affects over 250,000 People, says Yobe Govt.

The Yobe State Government says more than 250,000 people have been affected following the suspension of United States funding for humanitarian operations in the North-East. Dr Muhammad Goje, Executive Secretary of the Yobe State Emergency Management Agency, said the stop-work order signed by President Donald Trump in 2025 has disrupted life-saving services across the state.

Dr Goje explained that the United States has been the largest donor to humanitarian programmes in the region, supporting food distribution, healthcare, protection services, and assistance for displaced persons. He added that the funding gap has forced agencies to consolidate operations, compete for limited resources, or withdraw entirely.

The official said the suspension directly affects about 13,000 out-of-school children, internally displaced persons, survivors of gender-based violence, and other beneficiaries of health and livelihood programmes. He noted that food aid from the World Food Programme, which previously delivered over 650 metric tons of food monthly to around 65,000 households, will stop from February 2026.

Also Read: APC Gombe Expels Former State Governor Goje

Dr Goje also warned that approximately 2,500 humanitarian workers across the North-East have lost their jobs due to the funding cut, affecting thousands of family members. The Yobe State Government said it has begun implementing measures to address the resulting shortfall and maintain essential services.

Leave feedback about this

Ball Sports, Now Sports

News, Today In the News

News, Today In the News