July 14, 2024
ISIS Claims Responsibility For Iran Bombings
News Today In the News

ISIS Claims Responsibility For Iran Bombings

The Islamic State jihadist group says it is responsible for the twin bombings which killed at least 84 people at a memorial ceremony in Iran for slain Revolutionary Guards general Qasem Soleimani.

The claim from IS came as Iran observed a day of national mourning for those killed in Wednesday’s blasts.

In a statement on Telegram, IS said two of its members activated their explosives vests among the crowds who had come to honour Soleimani on the anniversary of his death in a targeted US drone strike in Baghdad four years ago.

READ ALSO: 2023 AFCON: CAF Increases Prize Money By 40%

According to the official IRNA news agency, Iranian investigators had already confirmed that the first blast, at least, was the work of a “suicide bomber” and believed the trigger for the second was very probably another suicide bomber.

Soleimani, who headed the Guards’ foreign operations arm the Quds Force, was a staunch enemy of IS, a Sunni extremist group which has carried out previous attacks in majority-Shiite Iran.

Leave feedback about this

  • Quality
  • Price
  • Service

PROS

+
Add Field

CONS

+
Add Field
Choose Image
Choose Video