Libya’s Prosecutor General has ordered the arrest of eight officials as part of his inquiry into the September 10 flood disaster that killed thousands in the port-city of Derna.
A statement from the Prosecutor General’s office said the officials are suspected of bad management and negligence, among other offences.
The statement also adds that seven of them served currently or previously in offices responsible for water resources and dam management.
Amongst the detainees is Derna’s mayor, Abdulmonem al-Ghaithi, who was sacked after the flood.
The latest official toll puts the number of dead at almost 3,900 and international aid groups have said 10,000 or more people may still be missing.