The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has cancelled a three-day World Cup preparation camp in Kinshasa and a planned public farewell to fans due to an Ebola outbreak in the east of the country. The national team spokesman, Jerry Kalemo, confirmed the decision on Wednesday.
He said only the Kinshasa phase of preparations had been affected, while training camps in Belgium, Spain and the United States will go ahead as planned. The team is scheduled to face Denmark in Belgium on June 3 and Chile in Spain on June 9.
Kalemo said the decision followed the outbreak of a rare Ebola strain that has killed more than 130 people and recorded nearly 600 suspected cases. The World Health Organisation has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
Also Read: Lagos Tops PEBEC Ranking as Best State for Business
The DRC team, which is based largely in Europe, is preparing for its first World Cup appearance since 1974 and will begin its group matches against Portugal on June 17 in the United States.


Leave feedback about this
You must be logged in to post a comment.