Former Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election billed for May 21 in Gombe State, citing alleged breaches of the electoral process.
In a statement signed by Ibrahim Attahir on behalf of the Pantamiyya Movement, Pantami, who submitted his nomination form at the APC headquarters in Abuja on May 7, attributed his decision to the blatant disregard for the provisions of the Electoral Act 2026 and the party’s failure to provide a channel of communication essential for a credible contest.
The statement said that despite his loyalty, Pantami was repeatedly denied access to critical information, and letters sent by his solicitors to various organs of the party requesting details received no reply or acknowledgement. Earlier this month, the APC in Gombe had announced Jamilu Gwamna as its consensus governorship candidate for the 2027 elections, an arrangement Pantami had previously rejected as a mere coronation that violates statutory mandates.
Also Read: Education Minister Says North East, North West Lag Despite Donor Funds
Attahir said Pantami’s withdrawal is under protest, stating that non-compliance with the Electoral Act 2026 and the party guidelines renders the exercise unsafe and illegitimate. The statement noted that during the National Assembly primaries held on May 16 and 18, no actual election took place in the state, with several aspirants testifying that relevant details on venues, procedures, and agent and observer accreditation were not provided, yet results were announced. It added that even though President Bola Tinubu insisted on the necessity of free, fair, and credible direct primaries, his directives were unfortunately not implemented.


Leave feedback about this
You must be logged in to post a comment.