The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, has confirmed plans to evacuate over 2,000 Nigerians in Sudan this morning.
Recall that the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffery Onyeama, had in an interview on Sunday night, said the only option remaining for Nigerians to be evacuated out of Sudan was by road, as the airport in the capital, Khartoum, had been shut.
Speaking in an interview yesterday morning, the Director, Special Duties, National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, Mr. Onimode Bandele, had said there are plans to get buses to start moving today.
He added that the Director General, National Emergency Management Agency, Mustapha Habib, was already in Cairo facilitating Egypt as an extraction window.
Mr. Bandele also says an initial extraction exercise will see 2,650-2,800 Nigerians, including families of embassy staff, leave immediately from Khartoum to Cairo. The exact numbers and departure details will be communicated in due course.