May 18, 2026
WHO Declares Public Health Emergency Over Ebola Outbreak
Now Global

WHO Declares Public Health Emergency Over Ebola Outbreak

WHO Flags $1.2 Billion Annual Loss to Medical Tourism in Nigeria

An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda has been declared a public health emergency of international concern by the World Health Organisation, after 80 suspected deaths. The WHO said on Sunday that the outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency but that countries sharing land borders with the DRC are at high risk of further spread. 

According to the U.N. health agency, 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory confirmed cases, and 246 suspected cases had been reported as of Saturday in the DRC’s Ituri province across at least three health zones, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu. One case was confirmed in the eastern Congolese city of Goma, a statement by M23 rebels said.

The WHO said the outbreak is extraordinary as there are no approved Bundibugyo virus-specific therapeutics or vaccines, unlike for Ebola Zaire strains. All but one of the country’s previous outbreaks were caused by the Zaire strain. The DRC health ministry had said on Friday that 80 people had died in the new outbreak in the eastern province, and the WHO warned that the outbreak could, in fact, be much larger given the high positivity rate of the initial samples and the increasing number of suspected cases being reported. 

Also Read: Budget Office Cites Budget Extension for Reporting Delay

The DRC Uganda outbreak poses a public health risk to other countries, with some cases of international spread already documented, the agency said.

Leave feedback about this

Now Global

News, Today In the News

Business News