The World Health Organisation has upgraded the Ebola risk level in the Democratic Republic of Congo from high to very high, warning that the outbreak is spreading rapidly across the country.
Speaking at a news conference on Friday, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there are now nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths linked to the outbreak. He said 82 cases and seven deaths have so far been officially confirmed in the DRC.
The WHO said the regional risk level remains high, while the global risk assessment remains low. Tedros added that violence and insecurity in affected areas are hindering response efforts and public health operations.
Also Read: Governor Fubara Withdraws From Rivers APC Governorship Primary
Authorities in the northeastern Ituri province also reported unrest at a hospital treating Ebola patients, where isolation tents were set on fire during protests linked to the burial of suspected victims. Security forces were later deployed to restore order.


Leave feedback about this
You must be logged in to post a comment.