Sudan’s military ruler, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, says the talks taking place in Saudi Arabia with the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) will have no benefit without a ceasefire.
Members from both warring sides were in Jeddah in a bid to end bloodshed that has killed hundreds and triggered a mass exodus. The United States-backed talks began on Saturday between the army and the rival paramilitary RSF. No progress has been reported so far on the talks, which have focused on the possibility of introducing a lasting ceasefire.
The General, who says a settlement can be discussed after a permanent cease fire is reached in Khartoum, warned that war would spread to the rest of Sudan if a division happens in the capital Khartoum.
He accused members of what he calls the “brutal and oppressive” RSF for seeking shelter in civilian homes and in service centres in order to avoid being targeted by military forces. A Saudi diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP news agency that the discussions have yielded “no major progress”.